Sunday, December 12, 2010

Buttermilk Sweet Potato Rolls

In an effort to use up the buttermilk I bought for my buttermilk pie, I've been making everything with it. I saw these rolls while searching through my favorite cooking blogs around Thanksgiving, and just haven't had the time to make them. With finals coming to an end, I decided that with the time I should be spending studying, I'll make these time-consuming rolls, instead.


Buttermilk Sweet Potato Rolls
1 cup of mashed sweet potatoes, slightly warm (I used yams because I like their color better) 
2 cups of buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 cup of butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup of sugar
2 packets of active dry yeast
2 1/2 teaspoons of salt
6-7 cups of bread flour (I only ended up using ~4 cups, I don't know if it has to do with the elevation)


In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed sweet potatoes (yams), buttermilk, egg, butter, sugar and yeast. Let the mixture sit for a few while you measure out the flour.

Mixing with a wooden spoon, stir in one cup of flour along with the salt. Gradually add more flour, one cup at a time, until a soft dough starts to form. It took me around 4 cups of flour before I couldn't mix the dough anymore. At this point, I dumped the dough onto my floured counter and kneaded it until the dough was still tacky, but not sticky. I added flour as I went along. Form the dough into a ball.

Grease a bowl with butter or oil or use non-stick cooking spray. Place the ball of dough into the bowl and then flip to coat both sides with the grease. Cover the dough with plastic wrap or a towel and allow to rise for about an hour, until doubled in size.

When the dough has doubled, punch it in the middle to deflate it. Dump the dough onto your floured counter and begin rolling sections into balls. Place the rolls onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and cover again with a towel. Let rise for another 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375'. Sprinkle the top of the rolls with flour and then bake the rolls for 20-25 minutes, but keep an eye on them, as mine only took about 17 minutes.


I ate about 4, they were that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment