Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Buttermilk Pie with Blackberry Sauce

I saw this recipe on Joy the Baker awhile ago, and I was determined to make it. To me, it looked delicious. To Charlie and Bri, not so good. They gave me crap for a good few days about the "curdled pie." Apparently, to them, "it look[ed] lumpy." I made it anyways. I even made a special trip to the grocery store for buttermilk, because who the heck has buttermilk laying around? Not me.



Buttermilk Pie with Blackberry Sauce 
Pie:
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
1 unbaked 9inch pie crust (I used the refrigerated roll-out kind)

Sauce:  (adapted)
1/2 cup blackberry preserves
1 tbsp orange juice (the original recipe called for Chamborde liqueur. I like orange juice.)

Preheat oven to 325'. Beat eggs. I used a whisk, because my hand mixer died. Mix the sugar and flour together, and then add to the eggs. Beat until creamy. Add the melted butter, mixing as you go. Add the buttermilk and vanilla extract. Pour into your pie crust and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Because I live in Flagstaff at a higher elevation, mine took an hour. You'll know it's done when the custard has set, ie: the middle will still jiggle a little bit.

When the pie is done and cooling, make the sauce. In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk the blackberry preserves until warmed and smooth. Off of the heat, whisk in the orange juice. Serve this over the pie.



This pie was so good. I repeat, so good. When Charlie was photographing it, her specific words were, "Where's your slice?" Ha. I win again.

No comments:

Post a Comment